About Me

I'm 19 years old. I grew up in North Attleboro. I'm majoring in special ed. I love sports, reading, playing field hockey, chilling with my friends, and just being outside. Live life with a passion.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Johnathan Kozol

PREMISE:

hatred
poverty
power
racism
government
disease


Kozol's Argument:

Kozol argues that people who hold power and influence ignore it, which in turn makes them ignore the needs of people in poverty, when they should be in fact helping them.

Evidence:

"What is it like for children to grow up here? What do they think the world has done to them? Do they believe that they are being shunned or hidden by society?" (5)

I feel that people of power and influence, people of wealth, shouldn't be shunning children like this. They grow up thinking that they are inferior to other children because they are hidden away and aren't given the things that people of privilege have.

Comments:

I feel like this piece was a real eye-opener. To hear those stories about what the kids in that neighbor had to go through was really sad. I had never thought about what children who aren't born into accepted society, into power and a family with influence has to endure on a day to day basis.

No comments: